Institut für Astronomie und Astrophysik
Abteilung AstronomieSand 1, D-72076 Tübingen, Germany
Hinweis: Einige Seiten auf astro.uni-tuebingen.de können veraltet sein und werden nicht mehr aktualisiert.
Note: Some webpages at astro.uni-tuebingen.de may be outdated and will no longer be updated.
W.A. Heindl (1), W. Coburn (1), D.E. Gruber (1), M. Pelling (1), R.E. Rothschild (1), P. Kretschmar (2;3), I. Kreykenbohm (2), J. Wilms (2), K. Pottschmidt (2), and R. Staubert (2)
(1) Center for Astrophysics and Space Sciences, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA,
(2) Institut für Astronomie und Astrophysik, Astronomie, Universität Tübingen, Waldhäuser Str. 64, D-72076 Tübingen, Germany
(3) INTEGRAL Science Data Centre, Ch. d'Ecogia 16, 1290 Versoix, Switzerland
To appear in: Proc. of the 5th Compton Symposium, ed. M. McConnell
Abstract. Cyclotron lines in accreting Xray pulsar spectra result from the resonant scatter ing of Xrays by electrons in Landau orbits on the intense (~1012G) magnetic fields near the neutron star poles. For this reason they are known as cyclotron resonance scattering features (CRSFs). Because Landau transition energies are proportional to field strength (Ecyc = 12 keV approximately corresponds to B = 1012G), CRSF energies give us our most direct measures of neutron star magnetic fields. Other line properties, such as depths, widths, and presence of multiple harmonics, are strongly dependent on the details of the geometry and environment at the base of the accretion column. CRSFs therefore give us a sensitive (if difficult to interpret) diagnostic of the accretion region.
In this paper, we summarize the RXTE measurements of CRSFs in 8 accreting pulsars. The wide bandpass and modest resolution of the RXTE instruments make them ideal for measuring these generally broad features. In particular, the high energy response of HEXTE provides a window for discovery of new lines not detectable with proportional counters such as Ginga or the PCA alone.
Some highlights of this work are:
- New lines in the well known pulsars Cen X3 and 4U 162667.
- The discovery of more than two cyclotron line harmonics in 4U 0115+63.
- The RXTE picture of the correlation between cyclotron line energy and width.
Key words: -
Paper (141k gzip'ed Postscript including figures)
[Home Page] [Preprints 1999] [Quick Reference] [Feedback]
Last modified 14 Nov 2002